Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Here goes our security net.

It all started when Chad came home a few weeks ago saying, "well, i'm quitting my job" (for many many reasons). SURPRISE! Our whole world was turned upside down in a day. THIS was our FIRST crisis as a married couple. Apart from buying a house, this had to be the MOST stress our marriage has seen. I, trying to keep my cool (because, if you know me well, I am horrible at keeping my cool), took off the next day to help Chad find a new, better, more fulfilling job.

The next day, I dressed in my favorite grey sweatpants from freshman year of college and my favorite sweatshirt from graduate school and sat in the car all day while Chad went in and out of places dropping off his resume. This will be fine. I kept my cool. I was encouraging. I was optimistic. I was just trying to love my husband, I told myself. Until that night when I broke down sobbing feeling very out of control of our lives. Our Plans. Our Dreams. A tad dramatic, maybe. But, my faith felt very weak.

That very week, just four days later, Chad was offered a job! A management position! AMAZING! The stress was lifted. Our shoulders felt a little lighter. Our plans could be put back on track. God provided us with lessons to be learned and undeserved blessings.

Although the stress of Chad finding a job was over, I still felt like an emotional wreck. The stress is a lot to come down from.

I was ashamed that I didn't trust God more. How could I not? He has provided us with so much, far too much to count. I learned a lot about my faith during this stressful, but short crisis (or surprise!). I must start praying for faith. I must trust more. I must relinquish control, because, honestly, why do I have to be in control all of the time?

I was incredibly proud of my husband. Chad was hardworking, dedicated and aggressive about finding a new job to provide for us. He is more than I could ask for in a husband.

I was overjoyed. We could start planning for everything we wanted to do. Go on a Mexican vacation. Re-do our room to become a sleeping oasis. Make our home comfortable and feel like home. Pay off student loans. Save for the future. Our plans are very important to us and I was elated, excited, and incredibly relieved. We could start striving to complete our goals yet again.

I've learned and am still learning a lot from this surprise. I've discovered what is important to us in the future and what our plans and goals are. I've learned what we can do without (going without that second paycheck for 6 weeks can be a challenge). I've learned about my faith and how I want and need to grow. I've learned that our marriage is strong and perseveres and that I have one pretty amazing husband. I have the confidence that we can handle any surprise that comes our way. First Surprise? Check. No Problem. Moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment